Back to Board/Committee Listings

Agricultural Commission Home Page

Frequently Asked Questions



Agricultural Commission: Frequently Asked Questions

Agricultural Commission

1. How do you get your soil tested?

Garden or yard soil should be tested for Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium and pH (acidity) before applying fertilizer and/or lime. For expert advice and testing you can send a sample to the:

UMass Soil and Plant Tissue Testing Lab

203 Paige Laboratory

161 Holdsworth Way

Amherst, MA 01003

Information including cost and how to get a representative soil sample can be found online at

You can test your soil yourself for Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium plus pH with kits available at Farm and Garden supply businesses.


2. What if you or your neighbor have a problem with livestock, horses, or other farm animal or even farm activities?

Contact the Middleborough Agricultural Commission. We may be able to help solve the dispute.


3. Can anyone become a member?

The Agricultural Commission can have 7 full members and 5 alternate members.  If  a full member doesn't show up for a meeting, then an alternate attending, can vote at the meeting.  The Public is welcome to attend meetings and discuss any concerns or issues.