Back to Department Listings

Water Department Home Page

Water Department:
Frequently Asked Questions

Water Department:







































Water Department: Frequently Asked Questions

Town of Middleborough Water Department
48 Wareham Street
Middleborough, MA 02346
Mon - Fri: 7:00 - 3:30.


Water Department FAQ:


How do I Check for leaks?

Faucets – Check all faucets and piping for leaks by monitoring for drips of water under sinks and from exposed pipes. Perform an inspection with the water on and off, as some leaks only occur when the water is on.

Toilets – Add a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank. If the food coloring appears in the toilet bowl, this means you have a leak. Some toilet leaks are intermittent, so you don’t always see or hear the water running.

Check plumbing in the basement by monitoring for drips of water coming from exposed pipes.

Occasionally, leaks develop behind walls or in areas that are not visible. Read your meter periodically to monitor for drastic changes

Walk irrigation lines in your yard, check irrigation heads or saturated areas in yard.

Monitor the leak detector on your meter head even the slightest movement may indicate a leak.

The leak detector looks like or .

Why is my bill estimated?

Actual readings are obtained quarterly via our electronic meter reading system. If the meter transmission unit (radio reader) is not functioning, you will receive an estimated bill based on previous usage. If your property is equipped with a radio reader unit and you received an estimated bill please call the Water Department at 508-946-2482

Do we offer a senior discount?

65 or older? You can sign up for a discount on your water/wastewater usage at the Water Department business office. You may also call or email us to confirm that your are on the senior discount rate. Must be your primary residence.

I am buying / selling property. What should I do?

If you are purchasing or selling a home contact the Water Department at 508-946-2482 to request a final meter read. Please contact our staff a week prior to the closing. We will read your meter and prepare a bill to be paid on the day of the final reading. The Collector’s office will provide a paid receipt to take to the closing. There is a $10.00 - $15.00 fee for a final reading.

What is the procedure to tie into Town water?

Please call the Water Department Business office at 508-946-2482 for water main locations and availability. You may also obtain a copy of Guidelines and Specifications for water service tie in’s at the business office.

I will temporarily be away. What should I do?

If you are away for an extended period of time, you may request your water be shut off at the curb. There is a $25.00 fee for a curb shut off and a $25.00 fee for a curb turn on. Once the water service is shut off, all faucets should be completely drained and winterized. Please notify us of your forwarding address, so that you may receive your water and sewer bills.

How do I read my water meter?

Your water meter is read from left to right, just like a car odometer. Your meter reads in cubic feet. 7.48 gallons = 1 cubic foot (cuft.) of water.

Can I obtain a bill history or a duplicate bill for my account?

You can obtain a transaction history by calling the Water Department at 508-946-2482. For duplicate bills contact the Collectors office at 508-946-2420.

How do I prevent my pipes from freezing?

It is the responsibility of the property owner to protect the service pipe and water meter from freezing. If your meter does freeze, the Water Department will replace the meter, and you will be charged for the meter. If the service pipe freezes, it is the owner’s responsibility to thaw the frozen pipe or consult a licensed plumber.

Tips on preventing your pipes from freezing:

Why do we flush the fire hydrants?

Hydrant flushing notices are posted on the town web site, in the local newspaper, on the local cable station, as well as business’s throughout the town.

This activity, which takes place over a four - six week period, may cause discolored water in varying degrees in all sections of the distribution system. Residents who experience discolored water should flush their systems by opening a cold water faucet for a few minutes and then wait for about an hour. If the water is still not clear, the flushing procedure should be repeated.

The Water Department regrets that it cannot be responsible for any damage resulting from the flushing activity that is a necessary and normal maintenance function.

Fire hydrants provide a direct connection with the public water system. If you see anyone, who is not a Town of Middleboro employee, opening a hydrant please call the Water Department at 508-946-2482 or The Middleborough Police Department at 508-947-1212.

What is a Cross-connection?

Cross – connections that contaminate drinking water distribution lines are a major concern. A cross-connection is formed at any point where a drink water line connects to a equipment (boilers), systems containing chemicals (air conditioning systems, fire sprinklers systems, irrigation systems), or water sources of questionable quality. Cross-connection contamination can occur when the pressure in the equipment or system is greater than the pressure inside the drinking water line (backpressure). Contamination can also occur when the pressure in the drinking water line drops due to fairly routine occurrences (main breaks, heavy water demands) causing contaminants to be sucked out from the equipment and into the drinking water line (backsiphonage).

Outside water taps and garden hoses tend to be the most common sources of cross-connection contamination at home. The garden hose creates a hazard when submerged in a swimming pool or when attached to a chemical sprayer for weed control. Garden hoses that are left lying on the ground may be contaminated by fertilizers, cesspools, or garden chemicals.

Community water supplies are continuously jeopardized by cross- connections unless appropriate valves, known as backflow prevention devices, are installed and maintained. We survey all industrial and commercial facilities in our town to make sure that all potential cross-connections have been identified and eliminated or properly protected by a backflow prevention device. We also inspect and test each backflow preventer to make sure that it is providing maximum protection.

Please be cognizant of potential cross connections and support the Town in preventing contamination of our distribution system.